Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Raw Jackfruit Curry

Yeah, I know. What's with fruits and me making curries out of them. Trust me, it isn't intentional. Just incidental that's all. We spotted a wonderful raw jackfruit and my husband asked me if I would make a Goan curry out of it. What option did I have but to say yes!

And yet, surprise! Surprise! Today the curry has been made by my mother in law. And what a curry it was? Finger licking good! It felt as though I was eating the tenderest chicken ever. Yes, it does taste a bit like chicken. That's what we told Saee it was, when she wouldn't try it at first. One bite and she was hooked on it too!

Here's the recipe

Ingredients
  • 500 g raw jackfruit
  • 2 medium sized onions chopped
  • 1 cup fresh grated coconut
  • 2 tsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tbsp ginger, grated
  • 7 to 8 garlic pods
  • 2 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tsp oil
While cleaning a raw jackfruit, make sure that your hands are well greased with oil. Otherwise it can lead to itchiness. Everything except the skin of the jackfruit and the skin of its seed, is edible and should be used in the curry. Chop it up nice and good once the skins have been removed.

Now blend together  all the ingredients except oil and mustard seeds to form a smooth paste. Heat the oil in a wok and add the mustard seeds. Once they begin to crackle, add the ground paste. Fry it up nice and good till it exudes a wonderful aroma. Stir in the chopped jackfruit and saute for 10 to 15 minutes till the jackfruit pieces are tender.

Pour half a cup of water into the curry and bring it to a boil. Your jackfruit curry is ready to be served!






Happy Goan Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment