Monday, March 21, 2011

Upwas Modak

It is Monday, again. That day of the week when for reasons of religiosity, curiosity or scientific basis, I fast. I have been following this fast since the last two years and I intend to continue it throughout the rest of my life. More than anything it has given me a sense of personal control.

Yet it gets boring sometimes to eat the same upwas food every Monday. That is why I found this new recipe and decided to try it out. Was I rewarded? You bet. The modaks were really crispy on the outside and soft and sticky sweet inside. The cardamon and cashew I added to the filling was a bonus.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup vari atta 
  • 1 cup rajgira atta
  • 1 cup coconut grated
  • 1/2 cup jaggery
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
  • a few cashews
  • a pinch of salt
First  mix both the attas and add a pinch of salt to them. Knead them into a soft dough using a little water. Now make the filling. In a pan, combine both the coconut and jaggery and saute for some time. Add the  cardamom powder and cashews and cook till it gets translucent.

Allow the filling mixture to cool down. Now take a small portion of the dough and flatten it using your fingers. Scoop a little filling into the center, gather the edges of the dough, bring them together and press them together so it looks like a small potli.

Deep fry the modaks till they take on a deep golden brown color. Your modaks are ready to be served.


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment