Friday, May 10, 2013

Pork Vindaloo (East Indian Style)

Time to revv up again and make up for the time lost. I have been on a long sabbatical postpartum, and it is time I geared up for action on the food blog again. People have begun questioning me whether I have given up cooking. No darlings, I haven't, and to prove it, here is my favorite pork recipe. Thanks to Anup Kale for giving me the inspiration for this recipe.

I love East Indian cuisine. There is something heartwarming in their nature which finds its way into their food. They are not big on vegetarian food. But their chicken is awesome and ever so tender. It swims beautifully in the light gravy, with hints of spices. I love their wadas, and fugyas. Fugyas especially are their specialty. They are like quick fried tiny breads. You can dip one in a gravy of your choice and pop it in your mouth or eat them as they are, the way I prefer.

They also make a mean sorpotel. I have eaten the Goan version of both sorpotel and vindaloo, but it just doesn't come close to the taste of the East Indian variety. I was keen on learning to make sorpotel but I am told that it is an arduous task cleaning the guts, and is better left to the experts.

Yet, vindaloo is not just tasty, but really easy on your person, particularly if you are a tired mommy of two. It is quick to rustle up, and ever so yummy and filling. Anup eats it as it is, and doesn't even need bread for an accompaniment. Anup, thanks for not leaving me any portion of my mommy's vindaloo. It urged me to make my own!

What you will need


  •  1 kg pork
  • 1 cup peeled garlic
  •  7 to 8 red chillies (more or less depending upon which variety you have)
  • 3/4th cup vinegar
  • 3 tsp East Indian Masala
  • Salt

Wash the pork pieces carefully and drain them. Blend everything else into a paste without using water.

Appy this paste to the pork and let it sit for an hour.

Heat a heavy bottomed vessel and place the pork along with the masala and salt in it. Place a deep plate on the vessel to cover it and fill it with water. Cook on medium heat for about an hour or till the meat is tender.

Serve hot with bread or fugyas.

Happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. Travofood provide you fresh, healthy & delicious food in train. Travofood is an online food platform, on which you can place your favorite food in train like- veg food in train, nonveg food in train, jain food in train, spicy food in train & chinese food in train with the very reasonable price in India.

    ReplyDelete