Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Corn and Potato Stew

This recipe is my own. And while I can't vouch for all, indeed many, of my recipes, this one can safely be called a good one by fluke! Having searched high and low for good recipes without onion and garlic, and found none, I was left to my own devices to come up with a concoction that incorporated all or some  of the vegetables that I am harboring in my refrigerator.

The corn is a gift from my mother, who didn't have use for them since she was going to Udipi for a couple of days of well-deserved vacation. The potatoes are no gift, but a safe bet to have in your kitchen. When everything else fails you, the humble potato comes to your rescue. The pumpkin, I just had a tiny bit left over from yesterday. It wasn't going to find any other use, so in the stew it went.

I did rue the lack of capsicum, as it would have brought out the flavors well. But not one to worry for long, I used ground pepper instead.

Here goes.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup sweet corn kernels
  • 1 large potato boiled and peeled
  • 1/2 cup peeled and chopped pumpkin
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 inch cinnamon stick
  • 4 cloves
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1/2 cup double cream
  • salt and ground pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a wok. Add the cinnamon and cloves and wait till the cloves pop. Now add the corn, chopped potato and pumpkin pieces. Saute on high heat for three minutes.

Now add two cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add the salt and pepper and turn down the heat. Cover the wok and simmer for ten minutes. Remove the cover and add heavy cream. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.

Serve hot with bread.

(If you like it hotter, you can add a couple of shots of tobasco sauce to make it water your eyes along with your mouth!)



Happy Cooking!


1 comment:

  1. Corn and Potato Stew seems delicious! Could you tell me how much time will it take to make this?

    ReplyDelete