Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tamarind Kadhi



Back today after a soul-satisfying and relaxing mini vacation at mom's. Spent the last four days in utter bliss, eating mom's food. Gave me a glimpse back into how royal my past was. Saee had a gala time playing with her friend as well.

I remember the time when we moved in to the apartment where only mom stays now. Back then we were one of the first occupants of the apartment building, and it was very lonely. Ergo, we were very happy when we realized that some new neighbors were moving into the flat across ours. Kaka (Uncle), as I called him, was an exuberant 60 something when I first met him. Larger than life, and very loving, is how I came to know him over the next couple of years. Patil uncle loved me dearly like I was his own daughter. A much needed father-figure in my life, he showered me with affection while I lived there. I don't remember ever entering my house without calling out to him first. That was the equation we shared. His children are as good as my siblings.

Whenever we needed someone, our relatives would reach us later, but Patil Kaka was always there. Always smiling and ever ready to help. When he passed away, he left a void in my heart that will probably never be filled again. He was like my father.

His granddaughter Preet has imbibed his zest for life. She too is a boisterous little child, completely easy going and extroverted for her age. And for some reason, she has turned into my little Saee's best friend. Our returning home today was devastating for both little kiddos.

During my stay there, I saw Kaki (Auntie) feeding rice and brown kadhi to her granddaughter. I asked her what it was and she promptly gave me the recipe. Never having heard of this kadhi before, I decided to make it now that I was home.

It is ridiculously simple to make. It didn't take me more than five minutes to assemble all the ingredients, and five minutes to cook the kadhi. In taste, it is very similar to the Goan footi kadhi, the recipe for which is also present in my blog.

It tastes so good, I could have it just like that, much like a soup.

Ingredients

  • 3 tbsp thick tamarind paste
  • 3 spring onions, minced
  • 1 large green chilli chopped into large pieces
  • 1 small bunch of coriander finely chopped
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 tbsp jaggery (or more depending on your taste)
  • 4 cups water
  • salt to taste
Bring together all ingredients except water in a small vessel and mix well with hands. Try and crush the onions and chilli pieces a little with your fingers. Transfer to a wok and add 4 cups of water. Bring the kadhi to a boil. Now lower the heat and simmer for two minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice.

Hubbs has taken camera with him on shoot location. So no pictures today... Sorry :-)

Nevertheless... Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment