Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bharli Vangi - Stuffed aubergines

Suddenly I have developed some confidence in my cooking abilities. It was a tremendous ego boost when my mom told me that my bakarwadis taste professional. To top it off hubbs said that I have turned a better cook than my mom and his mom. That IS an overstatement, but it feels nice that you are appreciated by the ones you love. :-)

The recipe I am posting today is an amalgamation of two styles of cooking. One is my mother's style and one is my mother-in-law's style. I have developed a slightly different way of cooking this recipe, and hubbs loves it. It is up to others to test the recipe and give me feedback about what they think.

Ingredients
  • 250 g aubergines
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 inch ginger chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
  • 2 tsp sesame seeds
  • 2 tsp tamarind paste
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder (or as per taste)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tbsp jaggery
  • salt to season
Wash and make vertical cross slits in the aubergines at the base. Place them in water for an hour or two. This opens up the aubergines and it becomes easier to stuff them.

Heat a wok, and pour 1 tbsp oil in it. Add 2/3 of the onions and saute till they turn brown. Add the garam masala, garlic, ginger and saute for two more minutes.

Add the fresh grated coconut, and saute for 2 minutes.

Turn off the heat and allow the sauteed ingredients to cool.

Place them in a blender, with turmeric, red chilli powder, tamarind paste, peanuts, sesame seeds, and salt and blend them to a paste.

Stuff this mixture into the aubergines, like this.


Heat the remaining oil in a wok, and toss in the remaining chopped onions.

Once the onions change their color somewhat add the stuffed aubergines and the remaining mixture. Mix well.

Cover with a plate, and pour water on top of the plate. Lower the heat to a medium and cook till the aubergines become soft. Add the water on top of the plate to the curry, and cook till it boils.

Add the jaggery and boil the curry for five more minutes.

Serve hot with chapatis or bhakris.

Agreed. The picture sucks. The light sucks.  Couldn't keep my hand still :-(

 Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment