Friday, April 22, 2011

Egg Fried Rice

What a splitting headache I had this evening! Why are crossroads always present like a crucifix in our lives? Why must we 'Eat that frog!' I'll tell you more about this phrase on www.drgaurikekre.com.

I was torn throughout the day with my brain being torn between the right brain and the left brain (or what's left of it!) Or should I say I was divided between the diversity of opinions between my head and my heart? Why does God do that? Why does he make the head and heart so that they always disagree? Why has life got to be so complicated? Why can't it be as simple as 1+1 = 2? Why does a simple equation like 1+1 always lead to an answer like square root of 4? Although the end result is same, it doesn't come to you so simply does it?

I know I am rambling. I ramble! I get fogged in my brain and I let loose a volley of meaningless mindless words in what I call my 'verbal diarrhoea'. It is a phrase I picked up from Bridget Jones' Diary. Other than the fact that she wasn't married, I'd say Bridget and I have much in common. There. I am rambling again.

Forget it. Forget what you just read. Just concentrate on the recipe part.

There you go. (Ramble... ramble... ramble!)

Ingredients
  • 3 cups rice
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 5 spring onions finely chopped
  • 2 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
  • 4 to 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • 3 green chillies chopped 
  • 3 dry red chillies not chopped (Ramble alert!)
  • 1 tsp pepper powder
  • salt to taste
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil
Boil the rice in plenty of water. After about ten minutes pick up a grain and taste it. It should be cooked but not so much that it gets squishy. Once the rice reaches this stage drain the water and add ice cold water to the rice. This stops the heat within the rice in its tracks and you get a rice which is grainy and not like a unified mass. Spread the rice on a large plate and allow it to dry further.

Beat the egg and add some salt to it. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and pour the beaten eggs into it. Wait for them to cook a bit and then mash them with the help of a spatula. Keep them aside.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok and throw in the green chillies and the red chillies. After about fifteen seconds throw in the garlic and ginger. Saute for half a minute and add the onions. You do not need to fry this for a long time. Just a couple of seconds. But always, and I mean always while making fried rice, maintain the flame at high.

Now quickly add the fried eggs and the rice and toss them around in the wok. Bully them a bit. Add salt to the rice at this stage and add some pepper. Mix it well and serve hot!




Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

  1. i will make it. thanks i want this receipe .... i was waiting for this. ketaki anantpure

    ReplyDelete