Monday, April 25, 2011

Upwas Potato Wedges

Yesterday I went to Vasai. Mom made some awesome oysters for me, made in typical Goan style. Yum yum! I also bought a couple of really plump small mangoes (we call them 'ghota') I don't know what to call them in English. These are the basis of two really super recipes of Konkan. One is the 'ghotachem saasam' and the other is 'Ansa Fansa'. Of these, 'ansa fansa' is my favorite which I am going to post soon enough.

As for today, being Monday, the norm is to post Upwas recipe. So here is my version of potato wedges which is perfect for a fast.

Ingredients
  • 2 large potatoes cut into wedges
  • 1 tsp amchur (dry mango)  powder
  • 1 tsp jeera (cumin) powder
  • 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tsp oil
  • a few drops of lemon juice
  • fresh finely chopped coriander (optional)
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Dry the potato wedges using kitchen towels.

Sprinkle a teaspoonful of oil on a baking tray. Layer the potato wedges on top. Push the tray in the oven and bake for ten minutes on each side till the wedges are crisp on each side.

Remove the baking tray and sprinkle the dry spices and salt on the wedges. Now sprinkle a little lemon juice and toss the wedges together a few times to ensure that the spices and salt have coated the wedges evenly.

Garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve.

(Tip: On a chapati place the potato wedges and a few strands of cabbage or carrot. Sprinkle some cheese on top. Pour a teaspoon or two of tomato ketchup on this and roll the chapati. Potato roll is ready! My Saee loved it and the whole chapati was gone before I could blink!)

Happy Cooking!!

1 comment:

  1. Simple and perfect for Upwas. :) Thanks for the final tip too!:)

    ReplyDelete