Monday, April 11, 2011

Vaalore Moothiya Sabzi

There is one thing I remember my friend Jay's mother for. She made the most amazing Gujarati food. I do remember being on the school playground on sports day, and bullying Jay into giving me his tiffin and giving him mine. I remember once, eating methi moothiya that he had brought in his tiffin. I haven't forgotten the taste of those, and never found other moothiya which would taste anywhere close to the ones I ate that day.

I have loved methi moothiya ever since I remember. Eating Oondhiya meant picking out the moothiya and eating them before anyone else got them. :D

This vegetable incorporates those methi moothiya. I really can't make them as well as my favorite Gujarati Aunties do, so I did what I thought was best. I went to Prashant Corner in Thane and bought them. Trust me, they make excellent stuff there.

One taste of this sabzi and my husband went... "Wow! They are crisp! This is amazing!"

Try it. I am sure you and your family members will love it as much as we did.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups vaalore (also known as baalore, vaal, field beans) washed and broken into pieces
  • 100 gram methi moothiya (you will find them at any Gujarati store)
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp amchur or dry mango powder
  • 2 tbsp grated jaggery
  • salt to taste
Heat the oil in a wok and add the mustard seeds. Once they start crackling add the beans and fry them for two minutes. Now add the dry spices, salt and two cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once the curry has  begun boiling, lower the flame, cover the wok and simmer for about 10 to fifteen minutes or until the beans have cooked completely.

Once the beans are soft, add the jaggery and the motthiya and simmer for two more minutes.

Serve hot with chapatis.


Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment