Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nachos with Spicy Tomato Dip

Swapping sob stories with my assistants in clinic today, I realized how better off I am with respect to my husband and my in-laws. Truly, I am blessed. The stories that they share with me, sometimes sad, sometimes poignant and sometimes downright hilarious! But what truly touched me is their ability to smile and laugh inspite of all the wrong that has happened to them. Is it because of their pain-bearing capacity, or because of their ignorance? It struck me as odd  that they should think that husbands hitting or slapping their wives is 'Normal'! What's even worse, they think that if a husband beats his wife, then she must have definitely done something to deserve it!

I did my bit to make sure that they understand that deserving or otherwise, no husband has authority to beat his wife. It did make me realize one thing though. All my so-called grievances and complaints towards my husband are without any merit whatsoever. My husband is infinitely better than all these wife-bashers.

Armed with this altered perspective about the goodness encompassing my life, I decided to make something nice and entirely different today. I have always wanted to make nachos. Today was the day I decided to make it.

Pretty soon, I am going to make Marie Biscuit No-Bake Cake. Needless  to say, I'll post it when I make it.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup corn meal (Makki ka atta)
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tomatoes finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion finely chopped
  • 9 to 10 pods garlic minced
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 6 to 7 slices of jalapeno 
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp tobasco sauce
  • 2 tsp mixed Italian herbs
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
  • salt to taste
  • grated cheese (optional)
For the tortilla chips, mix the corn and plain flours with baking powder and salt. Now add water slowly and knead well to form a soft dough. Divide the dough into ten equal portions. Roll out each portion thinly with a rolling pin and cut with a knife into desired shapes.

Heat oil in a deep wok, and deep fry the tortilla chips till they are nice and crispy. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen towels.

For the spicy tomato dip, mix all the remaining ingredients except the cheese, and refrigerate. Garnish with grated cheese and serve chilled with the corn chips.

Great as a starter, or snacks!



Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment