Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sunshine Breakfast

You will know why I am calling it my sunshine breakfast when you see the image. Pancakes, scrambled eggs and mixed fruit juice. Perfect way to begin your day, don't you think. I think it is entirely comfort food.

I need comforting right now, too. My daughter and my ma-in-law have gone to Pune for two days *sobs. I couldn't go because of my new job. Not that I particularly wanted to, but I am going to miss my little daughter for two days. I hope she doesn't trouble her grandma too much.

Ma in law likes eggs, but not made in this manner. She wants them spicy. I prefer my eggs to be as uncluttered as possible. I do not like throwing a whole spice garden into my eggs. They taste best simple. Like most things in life.

For the pancakes
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
For the scrambled eggs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a dash of mixed herbs (optional) 
For the pancakes

Sieve the flour with the baking powder and keep it aside. Separate the yolks from the whites and beat each separately (just like for the sponge cake) I know that you needn't beat them separately when made traditionally. But I do like my pancakes to be as soft and spongy as sponge cakes.

Beat the yolks with a tsp of sugar and keep them aside. Wash all the whipping instruments and dry them completely (thanks Jayu for the tip!) and beat the whites separately with the remaining sugar till stiff. With a rubber spatula, fold in the yolks, the flour, the butter and the milk. Gently stir it all up.

Heat a griddle and add butter. Now spoon out a little batter on it and fry on both sides till it is slightly brown on each side.

For the scrambled eggs

Break the eggs into a bowl. Add the butter and the milk and whip well. Add salt, pepper and mixed herbs and beat some more. Heat a saucepan. Add butter into the saucepan. When it melts completely, pour in the egg mixture. Wait for some time till the lowest layer has set a little. Now push away one side of the eggs from the edge towards the center and let the liquid egg run into the empty space created. Keep doing this till all the liquid egg mixture has been used up. Scramble a little with a spatula and turn off the heat. You don't want your scrambled eggs to go completely hard.

Serve the pancakes with your favorite syrup and the scrambled eggs. Pour a glassful of juice. Your sunshine breakfast is ready!



Happy Cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment